Thursday, July 15, 2010

What happened at Crooked Run

As I previously wrote, Crooked Run had been a favorite of ours. We learned about them the week after they opened, and made an unscheduled visit. It was such a great time. Although it was at the end of the day, the owners made us feel welcomed, and did not rush our visit. I had a glass of an excellent white wine (can't remember exact details), and I remember sitting and enjoying the end of the day.

Cut ahead to a few weeks ago. We were on one of our custom tours, about an hour away from Crooked Run. We knew Chatham Street was playing there, but we figured it was too far to drive after tasting all day. However, we decided to make the trip anyway. When we finally arrived, we were surprised to find almost no one there. We approached the girl at the bar to find out what was going on. She was less than friendly, and told us Chatham Street would probably not play. We joined them on a porch/balcony and had a nice reunion. Now, I don't know if the owners were just bummed that not very many guests had come, but the friendliness of our previous visit was no where to be seen. That was a disappointment.

We did enjoy Chatham Street's first set. There wasn't much of a crowd, which made it a little awkward between songs, but as usual, I loved listening to them. We decided to leave after that set because we hadn't had dinner. We were hoping that Crooked Run would be offering food, but since there wasn't anything available, we had to go find some place to fill our empty stomachs.

Crooked Run is still one of my favorite wineries in VA, but I wish they had been more inviting.

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with Eric. Crooked Run is no longer on my list of favs. They have only a few wines and none are really to my liking but the atmosphere made up for it - the first time. This last visit really turned me off. There is so much they could have done to make us feel welcome and to add to our enjoyment. They did nothing. For ex, we bought glasses of wine. When we finished, they did not offer more. When we left, I returned the glasses and said goodbye. The owner said, "uh huh."

    ReplyDelete